Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My gray hair!

My gray hair! 

I have almost accomplished this journey!  I must say it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be...let me tell you all about it!

On August 23, 2016 (at that time I was 6 weeks in) I started my gray hair journey.  I had a bad reaction to my hair color I had used for years all of a sudden.  I guess they had changed the ingredients and my scalp was not liking it at all.  My head was itchy and the sweat glands in my head were swollen to the point that I couldn't take it any longer.  So that is why I decided to go on this gray hair journey.  At that point I read a little about how to go gray as well as the mental state of going gray.  I learned that my hair would be, look and feel healthier and softer.  So far this is so true! 

The first thing I did was the home frosting kit.  I called my mom over and we got to work pulling my hair through a frosting cap that came in the kit and proceeded to lightening my hair.  We pulled through pretty heavy to get a really light color start.  Once every 5 or 6 weeks for about 3-4 months prior to no color or bleach at all, we pulled through the cap and bleached the strands.  That way the color/bleach didn't touch my scalp and it was obviously making my hair lighter than the medium brown I had used for years (my natural color).  Then in August I did it...no more color or bleach, just o'natural!  I thought it wouldn't take as long as it has, seems like forever.  I look forward to having all one color, right now you can still see the tips are blonde. 

I decided that I want it to grow out as long as it will.  I look forward to putting my hair up in a bun or ponytail and not having to worry about my roots ever showing again!  

It has taken some time and I am still learning how it has changed my makeup colors and amount of makeup I wear.  I'm also finding that black and pink may be my favored colors and not so much brown anymore. 

I cut my bangs shorter and think that a trendy cut is more my style as a gray headed person now.  I got new glasses, one pair cats eyes and another pair pink.  

Now at 24 weeks my new look is coming together and I feel much more comfortable in my new hair color...gray!

If you are reading this because you want to take this journey as well, please feel free to comment below or email me and we can talk further! 






I found this tip regarding your makeup:

Makeup artist: Yana Markevich  was consulted about which colors work best with gray hair.  Her ideas are below...
Eyebrow Pencil: Use a light, cool-toned eyebrow pencil to create a fuller-looking brow without adding any yellow undertones. Markevich suggests the Anastasia Brow Wiz in Taupe.
Lilac Eyeshadow: To play up the lilac and gray tones in the hair, Markevich gravitates toward lilac and gray eyeshadow. Try Buxom Color Choreography Eyeshadow in Lambada.
Black Eyeliner: A thick black line on the top eyelid will help to draw attention to the lash line and make eyes stand out. Markevich uses Stila All Day Liquid Liner.
Peach Blush: A light, pinky blush on the apples of the cheeks will brighten up the complexion without giving it a harsh tone. Markevich likes The Balm Blush in Hot Mama.
Creamy Pink Lipstick: Markevich suggests a creamy pink tone on the lips for a fresh, feminine look that compliments the lilac tone on the eyes without it looking like a monochromatic style. She recommends Bite Beauty Lipstick in Fig.

I love the idea of lilac eyeshadow and creamy pink lipstick!  Although I do like using my red lipsticks as well.  Another tip I found:  For lips – use rose, red, apricot or peach but NOT brown shades. Brown looks too muddy and dull with your gray hair. You need to add warmth and life to your complexion and a good color lipstick will do just that. Use a cream lipstick for a soft shine rather than a mat formulation.  Personally I like matte lipsticks so when I use them I found a little bit of Vaseline over the color makes it look better.

Another tip found was to use a concealer for under eye shadows – the blue gray area under your eyes will be intensified by the gray of your hair and you could end up looking more tired than you really are. Try a yellow based concealer and apply under your foundation.

Another tip for brows (which I tend to leave unattended as far as color but may need to experiment with now):  Pay attention to your eyebrows. Brows matter as we get older – the problem is they tend to lose definition and hair regrowth is weak. When you’ve gone gray you need more definition to your brows as your hair will be giving you less. Keep brows shaped and add a boost of subtle color with a brow shaper or brow pencil. If you’re using a pencil apply it against the direction of the hair growth for a more natural look. Then gently smooth back in place with brow brush or your finger. Finish with an eyebrow gel to separate and style the brow hairs – choose a natural colorless shade like the one from Bobbi Brown.

It was also suggested to try out your new makeup at home and experiment until you find the look that works. Surprisingly your new gray hair will probably make you look younger rather than adding extra years.

These are some great tips I found for taking care of gray hair by Abbie Kozolchyk:
Polish your silver. Gray strands are usually drier than pigmented hairs, so they have a tendency to frizz and can easily look dull if you're not vigilant about upkeep. Try these tricks for a smooth, chic look—and perennial shine:
  • Blue shampoo. Use blue-hued shampoos and conditioners only once or twice a month to prevent your hair from taking on a violet cast.
  • Stay sharp. Get a modern cut with clean edges, suggests Yvette Gonzalez, senior stylist and makeup artist at Sahag Workshop in New York City. "Ask your stylist not to use a razor, because it can cause the ends to fray, making your whole style seem untidy," she says. Whatever cut you choose, be sure that you get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks. "Gray hair can start to look unruly if it's not trimmed frequently enough," says Gonzalez. (Here's exactly what to ask your stylist for.)
  • Protect your assets. Environmental pollutants and UV light can make any hair color—including barely pigmented grays—look dull. So wash at least every other day (to prevent buildup) with a hydrating shampoo and conditioner containing antioxidants, which help protect against UV and environmental damage. Try Giovanni Colorflage Perfectly Platinum Color Defense Shampoo and Conditioner (both $9, drugstore.com).
  • Get toned. Even with the right products, gray hair can take on a yellowish cast, so lather with a silver-specific shampoo once or twice a month. The classic product many stylists favor is Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shampoo ($9, sallybeauty.com), which has a violet toner to counteract any yellow.
  • Lighten up. Skip heavy pomades, waxes, and oily serums. "They can coat gray hair and make it look dusty," says Kathy Galotti, a colorist at the Rossano Ferretti Hairspa in New York City. To combat frizz, try One 'N Only Shiny Silver Ultra Shine Spray ($8, sallybeauty.com), a shine spray without drying alcohol.
I hope these will help you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment