I absolutely love these crowns! I think this has to be my next project!
Things you’ll need
wool or acrylic felt squares
large piece of felt
3" piece of elastic, ½" wide
2 by 5 piece of fabric
1. Measure the circumference of your child’s head. Subtract 3" from this measurement to get the length of your crown.
2. Draw a crown template on the tissue paper (or use this template from Skip To My Lou). The crown should have at least three points, but feel free to get creative with the number, size and shape of the points. Cut out the template. Make a duplicate copy on another sheet of tissue paper.
3. Divide one of the crown templates into even sections. Pin each section to a felt square and cut it out, adding a 1/4" to each side for a seam allowance. You can use difference colors for each section or alternate between two colors.
4. Pin each section together then stitch the pieces together with a 1/4" seam allowance. Trim the excess felt from the seams.
5. Glue or sew decorations onto the crown. This is where you can really get creative. You could also sew cut outs of the felt to the crown, ribbon, feathers, glue jewels or seashells onto the body of the crown.
6. Pin the uncut template onto the large piece of felt, and then cut the fabric out along the template. This will be the crown lining.
7. Fold the 2 by 5 inch piece of fabric in half lengthwise (right sides together) then pin. Stitch along the raw edge to form a 1 by 5 inch tube with open ends. Turn the tube right side out then insert the elastic inside the tube. Stitch the ends of the tube closed, making sure to catch the elastic in both seams, which will cause the fabric tube to gather.
8. Pin the felt crown front to the lining with the wrong sides together. Pin the gathered fabric tube to each end of the crown between the two layers of felt, near the bottom edge. Top stitch the crown layers together about 1/8" from the edge of the felt.
9. Add any finishing touches or decorations.
(Instructions by ehow.com)